08. Guardianship of Minors


There are a few different types of minor guardianships under Michigan law. A parent can give permission for someone to act as a guardian, a guardian can be granted a temporary guardianship, or a person can file for a full guardianship of a child if the parent will not agree to a limited guardianship.


Guardians can also receive child support from a parent who has the ability to pay support. Government assistance is also available for the guarded children. Many programs will not count the guardian’s income when determining benefit eligibility. 


If you are interested in learning more about filing for a guardianship of a minor, click the “Next Steps” button to schedule your consultation now.